Wednesday 25 January 2012

The girl child

I was always fascinated with martyr,victim patterns that women in our country often hold.Personally,I never had a boyfriend and I prefer not to have one.I believe my worth is much more to what a man would offer to give me.Its not that I was never in love,just that I have grown up and I am unable to deal with the cave man attitude.Recently  a newspaper quoted"let us agree to go beyond billboard exhortations'to love the girl child',an article that dealt with the decline in the child sex ratio from 927 in 2001 to 914 as per every 1,000 males last year,in 2011 that further stigmatises the sexual discrimination in our society.This should come as an alarm to us.The so called modernisation is still,however strenthening the patriarchal prejudices that predominate this country.Our different ways of putting across our policies are insufficient and are unable to go deep into the racist,sexist tendencies of India.I am still naive to talk about politics but what I understand is that there is alot of work to be done here and the cultural factor has to be looked into.Its something that goes deeper than just education.It has to be instilled in the society.I understand that there are acts that criminalise foeticide,or gender determination and there are acts that regulate the right to medical termination of pregnanacy.But my point here is What is beyond this problem?Is it in our history?Is it in our ancestors?Is it still in our blood?I believe women are responsible to answer these questions too.What are you doing to save your mother,daughter,sister or friend?Are you educating them?Even at the basic level?Alot of people work for the benefit of the society but is it really progressing?
I have had a secured childhood.But I have come across women who are unable to stand firm.As a result the bask in the mask of the new age woman but are lost and threatened inside.Threatened of being used,molested and lashed upon by the petty mindset that our society still dwells upon.As a woman it is my duty to respect other women and to bring awareness to those who are not there as yet.I have the privelige to be strong because of my family.I have the privilege to say I am proud of being a woman.I have the privilege to be honest with myself and I want others to be alike.Be it a man or a woman.I want a safe society for all.
We are the generation that has taken over now.The generation of ipads.The generation of equality.But does it really exist in your head?Are you treating people with respect?I believe this respect comes from within.I believe this is what makes a man.
I have nipped many a men in the bud for their indecent ways and peculiar mindset.I want a man who stands strong of being the other half of me.Call me traditional,old fashioned whatever.
Its not arrogance.Its not just pride for myself,but everyone around me.Its confidence.
If today I bring a man home,it affects me,it affects everyone around me.Its not just my life.I believe there are so many depended on me,some way or the other and I want them to look upto me.
For now as the newspaper article read"As for the core content of messeges,a lot can be said,but for now let us agree to go beyond billboard exhortations 'to love the girl child'.And recognize that the girl will grow upto be a woman one day"

No comments:

Post a Comment